Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to import vector graphics from a PDF?

martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
I have a PDF file that holds a shape in vector graphics (2D Bezier, I suppose) and nothing else. I was told it had consistent tangency and so on, and I want to use this shape for a design (say a Logo that has to be built in 3D) and NOT convert it to DXF before that, since DXF appears to always come with a considerable loss in spline quality. Also' I'd like to keep a door open for replacing the whole shape in the sketch later, should there be changes coming from the CI team. Ideally, I'd import the PDF directly into a sketch and then build upon that, but that's seemingly not possible. 

What do you think would be the best practise to get this done in an elegant manner? 

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape can convert vectors to DXF that will import into Onshape without losing quality.
  • Options
    Inkscape was the first method I tried. The DXF came in as a collection of short lines, as opposed to the splines I saw in Inkscape prior to export. Were there supposed to be real splines in the DXF? If so, something must have gone wrong. I'll have another go on it.
  • Options
    @S1mon It works now, via SVG-File->Inkscape->DXF14. Most of the tangencies are preserved, I had to heal just a few. Onshape can obviously load and display SVG images in a tab. Unfortunately, it seemingly can't actually import them as geometry, wich is a pity. If it could, that would make the workflow with graphic designers much easier, and since OS can already export drawings as SVG, this would then offer a 2-way exchange path.