Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the most proper way to connect to circles in a sketch to extrude as one part?

dee_greenhalghdee_greenhalgh Member Posts: 2
Hello I'm trying to sketch two circles side by side to extrude as one part.  I would like it to be one part to extrude and then shell out each circle.  I'm 3d printing this project so I want the two circles to be connected where they intersect for strength.  This will be a water bottle holder.  I've used the tangent feature to connect the two circles but when I go to extrude, it creates them as separate parts. I've dabbled with the Boolean tool which I must be using wrong because I keep getting the message: "Boolean resulted in no geometry change. The parts either do not intersect or are totally contained."

I know that if I overlap the two circles slightly I can select each circle and the middle of where they intersect and I can extrude as one part but I don't think that is the most proper way.  I'm wondering what is the most proper way to connect the two circles side by side so I can extrude them as one part,  I have attached a few images.  I'm just a little confused because if I take two squares and butt them up next to each other, onshape will extrude both as one part if I want it to but when it comes to circles it won't.  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited April 21
    They either need to overlap, or be separate. As it is now, it is neither nor. Overlap them by one wall thickness, or build a small 'bridge' between them, and you'll be fine.