Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I create a curve pattern with holes around a basket?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to create a basket of variable size using variables to define the exact dimensions for each use case. The basket has holes in the sidewalls which I'm trying to regenerate around the basket using the "Curve pattern" feature. Depending on the basket dimensions, hole size and distance etc. this sometimes works, sometimes only one row gets generated, but most of the time this results in the following error where the holes around the curved corners are not aligned with the walls:

The project can found here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0ceab1248616eca99d4ee4cd/w/d9e4e3ed9b8b42f791a958c7/e/b425902898e99839bb87bce4

I'm probably trying to do this the wrong way. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22
    The pattern members self intersect at the corners or only partly intersect the basket side walls. As an alternative approach, the basket wall could be made of a perforated sheet (metal) part. That would open up the possibility of editing the hole pattern on a flat part.
    Else you could make the pattern in two rows instead of two columns. That will better follow the curve:

Ach so: Es gibt in dieser Version eine Variable für die Anzahl Löcher horizontal in einer Reihe. Dass der Abstand der Löcher untereinander dann eine gemessene Variable ist, und sich aus der Anzahl der Löcher im Curve Pattern ergibt, stellt sicher, dass alle den gleichen Abstand haben, und es am Ende immer glatt aufgeht. Die zweite Reihe ist ebenso aufgebaut, aber in der Startpostition per Variable um 1/2 Lochabstand versetzt. Viel Spaß damit!