Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Stuck on Loft tool use

alex_giulianialex_giuliani Member Posts: 4
Hi, been stuck on this loft problem for 5+ hours now sadly. Just trying to connect these two profiles. Immediately get the self-intersecting body error although it appears that the region shown does not intersect itself by design. Also, when I put a fourth guide line down, it gives that error that suggests it is not intersecting the profile boundary, despite the fact that the bridging curve or spline was placed with the profile vertices as its endpoints.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e9b081d988abf5d0e12f7f20/w/e8e019799cc004b46ea168b8/e/324e54bcf34f2d9bd0c5205a?renderMode=0&uiState=6629d0f9e2ec4b7fda863562

Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited April 25
    @alex_giuliani
    Hey Alex, good job figuring things out...I took a look at your doc and it seems like you have the Lofts figured out. As is almost always the case with OnShape there are many way to get the end result you need.  In the end that is really all that matters....so two thumb-up for you!

So for a bit of feedback, you have a LOT of stuff going in your model (59 Features)...there are a many extra steps that could be eliminated with a different approach and some forethought about the overall workflow of your design (and perhaps some techniques you haven't yet learned).

I modeled this with just 18 Features.  If you'd like to take a look at this approach hear is a link to my doc. 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f8910bd718017fcf6040775a/w/b060c7d5093c677fd4d210fb/e/801428ecf1253f12a14224c2

OR perhaps, the top faces of the Lofts is not quite what you want...in that case, check out option #2 (Opt2 tab) in the doc.

• Options
    alex_giulianialex_giuliani Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much @john_lopez363!! I kept fiddling with the lofts and adjusted things until I got a surface that would generate because I wanted a 3d print for today. Never figured out what was wrong with the other approach. I will take a look at your models tomorrow when I have some more time. I have so many features and entities in my model because I haven't touched onshape in a while and had to fiddle a lot to get up and running again.