Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Select entity for extrusion via API

Kyle_TennisonKyle_Tennison Member Posts: 6
edited April 25 in FeatureScript
I've been working on creating tool that interfaces through the OnShape API. 

I followed this tutorial about how to make a Cylinder, and everything went well: https://onshape-public.github.io/docs/api-adv/featureaccess/#create-a-cylinder

In this tutorial, we're shown how to extrude a sketch. However, I would like to extrude a sketch region. I am able to do this in the following featurescript:

annotation { "Feature Type Name" : "My Feature" }
export const myFeature = defineFeature(function(context is Context, id is Id, definition is map)
    precondition
    {

annotation { "Name" : "Target Feature ID" }
        definition.targetFeatureId is string;

}
    {
        var target_sketch_id = makeId(definition.targetFeatureId);
        var target_sketch_query = qSketchRegion(makeId(definition.targetFeatureId), false);
        var origin = vector([0, 0, 0]) * inch;
        var contains_origin_query = qContainsPoint(target_sketch_query, origin);
        var contains_origin_entity = evaluateQuery(context, contains_origin_query)[0];

print("This entity is the target:");
        println(contains_origin_entity);

opExtrude(context, id + "extrude1", {
                "entities" : contains_origin_entity,
                "direction" : evOwnerSketchPlane(context, {"entity" : contains_origin_entity}).normal,
                "endBound" : BoundingType.BLIND,
                "endDepth" : 1 * inch
        });      
    });

My project requires me to interface with the default features (i.e., I can't define a custom feature). 

I created this extrude manually, and then looked at the GET /partstudios/DWVME/features response; the way the entity gets defined here is:

{
            "btType": "BTMParameterQueryList-148",
            "queries": [
              {
                "btType": "BTMIndividualQuery-138",
                "queryStatement": null,
                "queryString": "query=qCompressed(1.0,\"&270$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\",id);",
                "nodeId": "FF2PwXilvxQj32j"
              }
            ],
            "nodeId": "9Zv3KmObfJdroJUX",
            "parameterId": "entities"
          },

How would I go about getting a query string like this? Is there an alternative way to specifying a query?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Options
    Caden_Armstrong_Caden_Armstrong_ Member Posts: 27 PRO
    There are lots of ways to construct a query to be used with the API.
    The simplest, and the one I use most often is to just use the transient ID of the entities.

Each entity is referenced through a BTMIndividualQuery (See below).
    So the BTMParameterQueryList queries parameter is an array of BTMIndividualQuery objects, one for each ID.
    Here JFV is the id of the sketch region, replace with your entity ID.
    The challenge is getting the ID of the region. This could be done in featurescript, or with the API through client messaging
    For a featurescript. You can get the transient ID by evaluating the query, and for each element, referencing the transientId property.

Getting the id in a featurescript:
    evaluateQuery(context, myQuery)[0].transientId;

BTMIndividual query:

{
        "type": 138,
        "typeName": "BTMIndividualQuery",
        "message": {
          "geometryIds": [
            "JFV"
          ]
        }
      }

www.smartbenchsoftware.com
    Custom FeatureScript and Onshape Integrated Applications
  • Options
    Hi Caden, I appreciate your quick response.

The JSON format you provided appears to be a different schema than the v6 API. There must've been an update that prevents this from being backwards compatible.

However, I did arrive at a solution using queries. It looks like the key was using a BTMIndividualQuery-138 btType:

"btType": "BTMParameterQueryList-148",
    "queries": [
    {
    "queryStatement": null,
    "queryString": "query = qContainsPoint(qSketchRegion(makeId(\"FQp5UHIYaN4g246_0\"), false), vector([0,0,0])*inch );"
    }
    ],
    "parameterId": "entities"

I guess that it's possible to squish the featurescript query into one line, then provide it outright for the API to evaluate. I'm still unsure how to provide transient ids to the API, though, that's an issue for another time. 

Thank you!
  • Options
    Caden_Armstrong_Caden_Armstrong_ Member Posts: 27 PRO
    The API seems to accept a bunch of different formats for various endpoints, it can be confusing sometimes.
    My inputs are generally based on what the GET /features endpoint gives out as comparison.

You could do a transient id with your method:

"queryString": "query =  { "queryType" : QueryType.TRANSIENT, "transientId" : mytransientid } as Query;"
    www.smartbenchsoftware.com
    Custom FeatureScript and Onshape Integrated Applications
  • Options
    That's great to know! I'll definitely use that format in the future.
  • Options
    It turns out that you can't query transient ids like that, not sure why. You get a <200> response, but the feature errors and reads something relating about qUnion and an array. It looks like this might be a bug, but I'm unsure.

In case anyone in the future is wondering, if you want to query using transient ids, you can still do it using deterministicIds field:

{
        "deterministicIds": [ "JJG" ]
    ]