Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to align a section view on hidden lines?

bruce_fischer469bruce_fischer469 Member Posts: 16
Hi there,

I have the following view and want to create a section C-C that lies exactly between two bores, however, the point needed for alignment is hidden in this view.

When I show hidden lines, it messes up the whole view and not even the back button helps any more. I can only go back in the version history and restore an older version.

Is there any workaround to solve this in Onshape? In other CAD software I could simply create a sketch that I hide later on.

Best regards

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    Until we have better drawing sketch tools, the best way to solve this is to have a sketch in the part studio with the reference you want and show that in the drawing. If you want it to be "invisible" you can put just a reference point in the sketch and then select "hide sketch points" on the view property.
  • Options
    bruce_fischer469bruce_fischer469 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, but this procedure only seems to work for parts. The view in the screenshot above shows an assembly, however. Is there another option in this case?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    Thanks, but this procedure only seems to work for parts. The view in the screenshot above shows an assembly, however. Is there another option in this case?
    You can insert the sketch in the assembly (and group with its parent part and do it the same way. Or you could create a sketch using in-context references to add multiple reference points to your assembly.