Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Simulation

GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 386 PRO
I have a Box Section Frame made with the Frame Tool which generates a composite part when a cut list is created.

My question is - Simulation wont run on a composite part so do I have to create the assembly with Fasten/Fixed Mates in order to run the simulation or is there a work around?
Seems like a lot of extra work to create the assembly rather that just using the Composite Part.

Best Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 484 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @GWS50
     I have discovered the same thing, along with this is the fact that with assembly the calculation time can get very long. 
     For frames, I often try to create them in such a way that I can boolean all parts into one at the very end then after I'm done with the simulation I delete the boolean. 
     Submit a improvement, I'll vote it up. 
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,419 PRO
    Answer ✓
    With the simulation tools, Onshape sells the idea that you can just do everything in the main assembly of the same document. While technically true, I find that it’s often better to have at least a separate part studio and assembly where you derive the things you need and do whatever special fixtures or in this instance Boolean addition in there. You can go a step further and make a separate document. Real world assemblies are often way more complex than what you need to simulate and don’t have the needed ground parts to constrain things. 

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 484 PRO
    Answer ✓
    @GWS50
     I have discovered the same thing, along with this is the fact that with assembly the calculation time can get very long. 
     For frames, I often try to create them in such a way that I can boolean all parts into one at the very end then after I'm done with the simulation I delete the boolean. 
     Submit a improvement, I'll vote it up. 
  • Options
    Thank you, I thought I was missing something. Boolean sounds like a good workaround, I had considered exporting/importing a STEP to see if that might work….but I’m not sure it would.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,419 PRO
    Answer ✓
    With the simulation tools, Onshape sells the idea that you can just do everything in the main assembly of the same document. While technically true, I find that it’s often better to have at least a separate part studio and assembly where you derive the things you need and do whatever special fixtures or in this instance Boolean addition in there. You can go a step further and make a separate document. Real world assemblies are often way more complex than what you need to simulate and don’t have the needed ground parts to constrain things. 
  • Options
    Having a separate parts studio seems a nice way to keep things simple from the main design
    thank you both for your guidance
  • Options
    Playing around a bit more......Rigid Parts seems to work and I've also tried to incorporate Configurations to simplify the simulation.
    Configurations are OK as long as you don't have too many parts to configure, a separate part studio does make things nice and separate though