Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sweeping only works with corners but not with curves

rami_al_zoubirami_al_zoubi Member Posts: 6
Hi im trying to sweep a shape around a path i drew. In the first screenshot you can see that it works. but when im trying to make one of the corners of my path round I get this error.

Answers

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    Your radius on the sweep path is too tight and folds back on it's self. Notice in sample picture what happens if the 25 radius in the path gets much smaller. The inner radius try's to be negative.

• Options
    rami_al_zoubirami_al_zoubi Member Posts: 6
    Your radius on the sweep path is too tight and folds back on it's self. Notice in sample picture what happens if the 25 radius in the path gets much smaller. The inner radius try's to be negative.

Thank you making a bigger radius fixed the problem. But is there no other way to maybe ignore that it folds back on itself? I prefer the design with a thighter radius.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,412 PRO
    You’ll need to do something special. I would probably sweep the whole thing without the arc in the path and then sweep a cut along the arc to remove the sharp corner. You could also build it up with surfaces: sweep the inside and outside separately, the inside without the arc and the outside with it.