Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exporting parts as single meshes instead of many sub-meshes.

Chris_LehnenChris_Lehnen Member Posts: 2
Hi there. So, I'm trying to use the GLTF exporter to transfer my Onshape models to the Godot engine for viewing purposes. Coming from Inventor, I was initially really excited to be able to go directly to GLTF and skip the 3DSmax -> FBX steps, but I'm running into a roadblock.

It would seem that instead of creating a single mesh for each part, Onshape instead creates a unique sub-mesh for each face of the part and bundles those all together into the one object. I can see where this is coming from, as it helps support faces having unique colors, however it can absolutely destroy the performance of a real-time engine like Godot, since it may now take hundreds of draw calls to render a single object instead of just one. Multiply this by a large model that may have hundreds or more parts and it can simply become impossible to run. I've also tested this with OBJ files, and it seems to behave in the same way.

Is there some way to get Onshape to export parts into a mesh format (GLTF, OBJ, etc.) where the entire part is encapsulated in a single mesh object instead of being split into each face first, or perhaps grouping all faces of similar colors together?