Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Flatten curves parts for laser cutting

graham_lockgraham_lock Member Posts: 17
Hi,

I'm new to Onshape and I'm trying to understand how to flatten curved parts for laser cutting.

Essentially I want to use Onshape to design RC planes, the parts will be laser cut from balsa and ply woods.

Many of the balsa skins will be curved in the 3D model - turtle decks, curved fuselage sides, etc, so I will need to flatten them for cutting.

In the screenshot below you can see I started with a sketched arc, extruded it to get Part 1, converted to sheet metal and then opened the sheet metal table.

Converting the arc produced an additional 5 parts which also appear in the sheet metal table.

All I need is a flattened version of the extrude?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    Answer ✓
    "convert" creates parts for all the faces of you body. Either use the "faces to exclude" or use the "thicken" option in the sheet metal feature instead of "convert".

Answers

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    Answer ✓
    "convert" creates parts for all the faces of you body. Either use the "faces to exclude" or use the "thicken" option in the sheet metal feature instead of "convert".
  • Options
    graham_lockgraham_lock Member Posts: 17
    Thank you!