Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DXF export problems with CNC machine CAM software

guillermo_lovatoguillermo_lovato Member Posts: 3
Hello,
i'm running into an odd issue when i try to process the drawings i make in onshape in the CNC native CAM program(that is very very rudimentary) that instead of generating a single outline it generates a myriad operations for each segment.

The workflow is:
  1. Export face of object as DXF( >autocad2000 version)
  2. in CAM software create a containing piece, then import the DXF over that piece.
If i i do it directly from the exported onshape, it's unmanageable, every small segment, curve, circle generates another machining operation.

The only way to make it work has been:
  1. Export face of object as DXF( >autocad2000 version) in onshape
  2. In fusion360 import the dxf then export it as-is
  3. Use ODA file converter as fusion seems to export dxf files older than acad2000 and no way to change that.
  4. in CAM software create a containing piece, then import the DXF over that piece.
This results in a clean single outline with a single machining operation

As you can see this method is extremely cumbersome and time-consuming, i'm wondering what i can do in onshape to output a single connected line like what fusion exports. I've tested exporting with/without the spline as polyline to no avail.

¿any ideas?