Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Pipe ( NPT ) Threads again

william_luckewilliam_lucke Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited May 16 in Product Feedback
You have customers requesting pipe or NPT threads be added to the thread tool... repeatedly.

OnShape can not be a credible product development tool without pipe threads.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/9594/npt-thread/p1

Comments

• Options
    michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭
    Pipe taps are available in the hole tool - won't that work for you?
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 526
    edited May 16
    @william_lucke We added tapered pipe threads for holes here:

Improvements to Onshape - June 27th, 2022 — Onshape

The hole feature interface has changed since then, but ANSI based tapered pipe tap holes are found on the inch tab and ISO-7 based tapered pipe tap holes are found under the metric tab.  ISO-7 and older BSPT have now harmonized, so no need for separate standard approaches at this point.

We do not yet offer tapered pipe threads on the external thread tool in part studios.

We also do not yet offer options for parallel pipe threads for holes or external threads.  

• Options
    william_luckewilliam_lucke Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Pipe taps are available in the hole tool - won't that work for you?
    The part I'm designing still needs external NPT threads.

PeteYodis said:

We do not yet offer tapered pipe threads on the external thread tool in part studios.

Yes, I noticed. Hence this topic.
  • Options
    adison_wailadison_wail Member Posts: 2
    Is there any update to when this would be added? Its something I need on basically all of my projects.
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15
    @ william_lucke
    Here are two files I have made that might help you. This is not a F.S. but is one way to create 3D pipe threads (not cosmetic and may not show in BOM).
    One is for female threads, and the other is male threads. I use these  like templates - deriving into a P.S. after creating the pipe (or fitting) using the right configuration (I made most common sizes, all NPT), then do a boolean subtract (it's a lot easier to derive now, with "insert to location").
    These models were made without allowing for fit tolerances and might not be "perfect", but do give a very close approximation. Make copies if you like, and move them to an easy to get to location - this is what I used to create my pipe fittings library without having to model every thread, every time. One word of caution, 3d threads will ruin drawings (to cluttered - use sparingly) but you might be able to get away with printing 3D threads (that, I haven't tried).
     One derive, then one boolean subtract, and it's done - instant threads. Just derive only the one tool named tap core or die core - (or something like that) and not all the sketches.
    Hope this might help.