Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Loft issue

elizabeth_giovanardielizabeth_giovanardi Member Posts: 21 EDU
My student is trying to make a totem-like shape. He created multiple sketches and guides and then lofted them, but somehow there is a twist for some reason that I cannot figure out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/39bfcad22ed5305a3d33af91/w/665f0a30a6bec085bf7196dc/e/cbc7e5b88e43e9f524d69fbb?renderMode=0&uiState=66508dc38b969a737dad21bc

Comments

• john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited May 24
    First off, that link is view only so making assumptions here...  I'd say the simple fix is to define "Connections" in the Loft.

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 250
    edited May 24
    @elizabeth_giovanardi Thank you for sharing! At first glance the profiles and guides of this model are not all properly constrained. The guides need to be pierced to the profile sketches. 

Also, it might be better to use a fill surface with guides for this particular shape. Take a look at this example. Hope this helps!

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6812bf2c92e011be99d8fed5/w/e0bad6b6b7a8f78b8e4895d0/e/3225d320d03c6f6ce3a17046

Final part

• elizabeth_giovanardielizabeth_giovanardi Member Posts: 21 EDU
    Thanks for the response - I had made it public so I thought it would work. Maybe this link will work? 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/39bfcad22ed5305a3d33af91/w/665f0a30a6bec085bf7196dc/e/cbc7e5b88e43e9f524d69fbb
    I played with the connections and improved it slightly, but there is still a second 'line' that it seems to be following.

The second question that relates to this same part is that this student created a sketch filled with splines and was hoping to extrude it to the surface with a slight offset, but this also fails. My suspicion is that I cannot say extrude 'to face' if the face is a lofted surface? 

That just made me wonder... would it help if I just created a surface and then thickened it?
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭
    Note that the original has a cut off that causes the twist you asked about since the loft is trying to make point connections.
    I took a few minutes to review the total of the document when I noted how may sketches and locations. Here is a sample that will get to the basic shape definition based on the splines and arcs used in the original. Note the relocation of the original image to simplify down stream features. The perimeter wants to be a mirror of the traced spline for symmetry. This can be done as a loft. I did it as a couple of fills that closes to become a solid.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df90895bbbe02ce48f5f3f24/w/550e73517c73d59426ebb537/e/dadea2567218866bedcea956

Wow - thanks for the suggestion of a fill surface with guides - I have never used those tools before but it worked perfectly! I will pass this on to my student right away!!
    @John_P_Desilets
    I just tried to recreate the same fill in my original doc and it appears that you edited sketch1 and the centerguide in a way to allow the fill to happen. I changed all the horizontal lines to construction lines and made the edge splines symmetric, but that still doesn't allow me to create the loft. Is this why I cannot recreate your fill? Thanks!
    edited May 24
    @elizabeth_giovanardi... turns out if you fix the issues with ALL of the underlying sketches then NO "Connections" will be needed.

Every single Sketch had issues....mostly related to improper constraints:
    • Sketch 1 is missing many constrains, most importantly horizontal and vertical constraint.  Also the splines that define the outside boundaries are not the same.  Use Mirror when and where possible. Both of these, if not corrected, drives errant behavior later on in the Loft operation.
    • One end of the centerGuide sketch was not coincident to sketch 1 (needs to be to use Guides correctly)
    • Every one of the arch sketches (sketch 2 thru 7) are not properly constrained to the centerGuide sketch.  It was mentioned above, but the correct constraint to use here is the Pierce constraint.
    Won't get into here, but there are many similar issues with the Mask sketch and the approach that I've inferred was trying to be used.  One rule of thumb... the fewer Spline points you can use the better!  I took a stab a finishing the Mask...but it may not be the final result that was going for.

Here a link for you to follow along:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/506c204584d417fff9b0ec3b/w/31c92bc6dcc65d69f66a6826/e/3d5164a81ad5e62a988224ce

edited May 24

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭
    @elizabeth_giovanardi
    Hadn't used the new thin loft to date so thought I'd go back and give it a go.
    Very nice! No shell or thicken needed.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/df90895bbbe02ce48f5f3f24/w/550e73517c73d59426ebb537/e/a8c6287ea18c8a614aca9934

@glen_dewsbury...very nice job cleaning up that "Mask" profile sketch.