Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Advise on how to model this sheet metal part

mooreaamooreaa Member Posts: 5
Hello,

I'm looking at modeling up a firewall which is a sheetmetal part, but the flange around the perimeter is curved. I am curious what the best way to model this is. It has a lot of tabs and that are cut and folded and curved before being riveted in. It would be really nice to have that geometry be slaved to the outline of the overall panel somehow if that makes sense, or at least driven by a curve, but the only way I can see making those curved flanges is to manually extrude/bend out each section.

Some of the flanges could also be formed with a tucking/shrinking method. My ultimate goal is to just have a model representation of this part so that I can pull a flat pattern from it.

Comments