Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

(Not answered) How can I measure the normal distance from a face to a point in an assembly?

josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
edited July 8 in Community Support
How can I measure the normal distance from a face to a point in an assembly?

Answers

• Options
    Max_KlugeMax_Kluge Member Posts: 12
    Hi Josh

Just click on the two entities you want to measure the distance from. in the bottom right there is a small measuring tape. Just click on it and you will receive the different distances.

Hope this helps you out. There is also the Shortcut " [ " for measurements, if you like that more.
  • Options
    I specifically need the distance normal to a surface, even if the point is outside of the normal projection. Also, it needs to be in an assembly, when various parts are put together.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,767 PRO

@josh_targo please share a link to your document so we can understand how to help you better.

This is not ideal, but one way to get the normal measurement would be to create a mate connector and make it tangent to the face.

Another way would involve custom features. Since only the part studio offers custom features, you would need to click the in context studio and measure it there. Here is the improvement request for custom assembly features.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    it's just like the picture above, but imagine the point a few inches to the right (in the image).
  • Options
    I want the normal distance from the slanted plane to the point.

"Just make a part studio" is not the answer I want. This should be a trivial modification for the programmers.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/598cadbc051409bdac78f7d1/w/fdd69096d199077d71a0ac6b/e/7fba283c12f4ce5935a92d2f?renderMode=0&uiState=66858c3f7c86921adcb7c4e7

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,767 PRO
    edited July 3

It is trivial for Part studios. Not trivial for Assembly studios. If you don't have moving parts, consider using multi part studios instead of an assembly if you want to use custom features. Then when you are finished, insert it into the assembly as a rigid studio.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options

It is trivial for Part studios. Not trivial for Assembly studios. If you don't have moving parts, consider using multi part studios instead of an assembly if you want to use custom features. Then when you are finished, insert it into the assembly as a rigid studio.

Thanks, I'm aware of the distinction and have been using Onshape for over a year now for several projects. I'm simply asking the question from my original post, if it's possible to measure distances normal to a surface in an assembly, without having to create a part studio in context to do it.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 384 PRO
    As long as your surface is planar, it works exactly as desribed above: Click on face, klick on point, click on measure tape and read the distance value in direction of surface normal (Z). Pic below was taken in the assy.

• Options
    As you can see in my picture a few posts ago, it does not work for planes that are not orthogonal to one of the three axes.
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited July 4
    Josh, as a workaround I would create a plane (plane point, using your two inputs) and measure parallel distance between face and new plane - then delete plane afterwards if not needed. Not a perfect solution, but should get you there.
    Oops, just noticed you were talking about assemblies,above advice is for part studio - but I'm with you, wish they had the "normal to" dimensions included in the measure tool.