Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

BSPP and NPT Threads in Hole callout

gregg_bennettgregg_bennett Member Posts: 4 PRO
Would anyone know when we can expect further functionality within the hole feature to include BSPP BSPT and NPT threads? 

Answers

• PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 540
    edited July 12
    @gregg_bennett We currently support tapered pipe threads in either NPT or ISO-7 standard format.  BSPT has really been harmonized/superceded with ISO-7 and ISO-7 is carrying that torch forward.  

We have yet to implement parallel pipe threads.  

• Oliver_CouchOliver_Couch Member Posts: 116 PRO
    PeteYodis said:
    @gregg_bennett We currently support tapered pipe threads in either NPT or ISO-7 standard format.  BSPT has really been harmonized/superceded with ISO-7 and ISO-7 is carrying that torch forward.  

We have yet to implement parallel pipe threads.  

BSPT is definitely still required even if it is completely equivalent to ISO-7, because so many people are only familiar with the traditional BSPT name.

I never remember the ISO or EN standards - I'm always looking for BSPT. And there are a lot of different pipe threads in the world, so I want to be sure I'm working with BSPT. Most machine shops we deal with won't even know that BSPT comes under any other name, so for clarity I find it's always best to stick with a nice clear BSPT on drawings, rather than use something academically correct that is not understood without google.

I think the same goes for UI design.
  • gregg_bennettgregg_bennett Member Posts: 4 PRO
    I agree Oliver - I like to denote BSPT on drawings rather than a particular standard which forces them to search it up.