Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I'm not able to replicate a sketch using Linear Sketch Pattern

neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
First off, I'm fairy new to OnShape.

What I want to do is create a 1 dimensional linear pattern of cubes. I was successful in doing so by creating a rectangle sketch, extruding it, then applying a linear pattern on the extruded shape. But this results in multiple parts. What I want / think I need is a single part that consists of a pattern of cubes.

I see OnShape help pages that show how to create a Linear Sketch Pattern. Thing is, it just doesn't work for me. I create a simple rectangle sketch. With that sketch selected, I press the Linear Pattern tool icon. But this causes the rectangle to be unselected and the LinearPattern1 parameter dialog to come up. This dialog wants me to select the entity to pattern. But for the life of me it will not allow me to select the rectangle.

The appearance of this dialog is not shown in the Linear Sketch Pattern documentation. What am I doing differently/wrong here?

Thanks for any help.

- Bob

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Thanks Dave for the input. Super helpful. I'm now seeing the behavior I expected -- except one thing. The sketch being replicated is on the front plane. The pattern is repeating along the X axis. I see that I can change the direction of the repeat. But what I need to do is change the repeat to occur along the Y axis. Is that possible?

- Bob
  • Options
    Wait. I found that I can drag the square control that rests on the first duplicate of the pattern. Dragging it at a 90 degree angle gives me the results I was striving for. I assume that I can also apply a constraint to make this relationship between
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Good job, I usually create an angle dimension from a horizontal or vertical created center line.