Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Clearing history but keeping a part with the original sketch entities

aaron_kahnaaron_kahn Member Posts: 10 PRO
edited January 2016 in Data management
Hi, I am definitely new to CAD in general, and I am learning with Onshape. I noticed that once I make a part drawing, and then spend a lot of time editing and making changes to it, the history begins to take up a massive amount of storage space for a simple little part. If I export the part, delete that part with all it's history, and then I import it back into Onshape, I loose the original sketch entities with all the visible drawing dimensions. Can you delete just the stored history that was created when building a part? I know I couldn't revert back to an earlier version at that point, but once the part is finished I don't need to go back.   

Also, when I import a file of any type, why isn't it editable like a sketch? I tried all sorts of file types, but all of them treat the imported part like a solid and don't show any dimensions. Why can't I import a part and then change the way it was sketched? I think I am missing something but I have done tons of reading and watching videos and can't figure it out. 

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    If you copy a document, it will make a duplicate at the current state of the document with no history.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
     aaron, The feature tree data isn't standardized between cad systems therefore not importable,

To remove just the history of a document use copy workspace command from the menu icon at the top left (3 bar icon). That will create a copy without any history.
  • Options
    Ok jakeramsley that worked great, thanks so much! 

_Dave_ , I imported a part to add a hose fitting to my sketch without having to draw it from scratch. The hose fitting is part of a larger item. Is there a way to select a portion of an imported part and then add it to what I am drawing? When I try to select the lines in the imported part it wouldn't let me remove the selection, and it wouldn't copy just the selection. 

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    aaron, You can't move just part of an imported model. You may be able to modify the model to reflect the portion you wish to move.
  • Options
    Ok thank you for the help!!! 

• Options
    jan_rychterjan_rychter Member Posts: 19
    I think OnShape really needs to let us clear part history better. Documents grow very, very rapidly, and it's easy to get surprised by their size. The "Copy workspace" workaround looks neat, except if you shared a document with several people, you will need to share the new document again, and manage the resulting confusion.

Please let us clear part history. Ideally, I'd like to see "Clear All", "Clear up to version" and "Clear everything inbetween versions". If that's not possible, even "Clear All" would do.

Please note that this would not be a problem for me if documents didn't grow so quickly.

I can understand the motivation to push people to paid plans (in fact, I will move to one soon), but this might not be the best way to do it.

• Options
    curtis_vancuracurtis_vancura OS Professional Posts: 18 PRO
    I agree. I am on a paid plan, and still learning best techniques. One that seems difficult to manage is to back out of my misteakes rather than delete them, or make changes upon changes till I finally get it right. Having the record of all this in my history is unnecessary, and a major waste.

I would like to be able to clear the history on individual part studios and assemblies. Even when I get to be a pro, I don't envision that I will want to keep all my history from concept to project completion (unless I need it for my patent attorney).