Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Why is my Assembly tilted?

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
Why is my assembly tilted at around 45 degrees, or, in other words, why is the Z axis mast in my assembly not vertical?

I created this design in an attempt to get all of the parts in one Part Studio (reducing the number of Tabs).  The parts in the part studio are in the correct orientation, but the assembly (created from the parts in the Part Studio) is not.

Here it is.  https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e17b660ebdae4ff8be022abc/w/3ddee0bffb1c49519fa78220/e/a7205b14771941be83fcc2b6

Best Answer

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @chrisjh777 , I think you rotated base plate after completion of assembly after that you have given fix constrain. For getting correct position you have to make base plate unfix and give fastened mate with respect to origin as shown in below video.

Answers

• Options
    øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Is it possible that you inadvertently rotated the base plate before fixing it when you created the assembly?

By unfixing the base plate and then manipulating it with the triad manipulator it is possible to make it vertical, but unfortunately you can't use any numeric input to make it exact. Eyeballing works, but it is of course less accurate.

Edit: Wohoo, my post number 42 (yes, utterly stupid nerdy humor)...
    Edit again: Bummer, editing a post actually bumps the post count...
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    If you import the base plate and mast from your part studio to an assembly it should import correctly aligned x,y,z looking at your top level planes. Then  group these two parts and fix without moving them in space. Now import the other parts and use your mates to position them in your assembly. At a loss to explain how you ended up on the 45 degree tilt.
  • Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @chrisjh777 , I think you rotated base plate after completion of assembly after that you have given fix constrain. For getting correct position you have to make base plate unfix and give fastened mate with respect to origin as shown in below video.

• Options
    chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Viru.  

I had no idea you could mate to the origin.  I was looking for planes in the assembly to use as references.

Chris Humphris