Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make seamless face connections

FerallezFerallez Member Posts: 9

Hi, I came across this shape and I am wondering how to make a nice transition between a straight and a curved surface. I am trying to find out how the real object was done.

Thank you in advanced.

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,877 PRO

In this case, it looks to me like the flats don't extend all the way to the base of the shape. It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but I would look carefully at the webs of material between the triangular holes. Somewhere from the tip to the base it seems like the flats go away.

If that's not the case, there are various ways of sculpting that transition. It really depends on what you want. Maybe after you investigate more, sketch on the CAD screenshot or the photo to show us what you want.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,950 PRO

I would either use Move face on the small flat face until it meets the other cylinder. Or maybe fillet that concave edge.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 160 PRO

the original might be a LOFT. hard to be sure from a photo, but it seems the flat face is transitioning to round slowly. so if you'd create a flat line on the flat face and loft a surface to it, you might get a similar result. Since the line could fall in one of the triangular holes, the transition quality at the end of the loft wouldn't matter