Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Samples demonstrating how to create some basic, common shapes?

neobobkrauseneobobkrause Member Posts: 105 EDU
i understand how to create a sphere. But what about one defined via variable values such that I can control its X, Y, and Z dimensions? A similarly configurable torus, a trapezoid, etc...

Thanks for for any help. I'm obviously new.

- Bob

Comments

• Options
    henry_feldmanhenry_feldman Member Posts: 126 EDU
    Do you mean how do you use variables to change constraints/dimensions inside a sketch used to generate 3D features via loft/revolve/sweep?
  • Options
    Yes. I basically want to build up a library of generic yet configurable shapes like the ones I've mentioned that I can bring into any designs that call for them. Properly designed, I can treat each shape as a "black box". I can (almost) forget how the shape was constructed. In software this is called encapsulation. -- Users only need to know the interface, not the implementation.

Doable in OnShape?

- Bob
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    I think it's possible, but pointless. In Onshape we can have derived parts within same document only. You can have a custom library of parts, but for now there's no way to place them in other document.
  • Options
    Ouch. It's early.
  • Options
    Darren_A_HenryDarren_A_Henry Onshape Employees Posts: 64
    You can cut and paste part studios between documents.  It creates a true copy without associativity.  Simply RMB Click on the tab and copy to the clipboard, then open the new document and use the + menu to paste the tab. 
  • Options
    Boom! That's all I'd need then. We're back in business.

So... Are there any pubic or tutorial drawings with these commonly used shapes?  I come from the Tinkercad world where these shapes are as common as ants on a banana peel.
  • Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    I'm so happy to be wrong. Recently I was in need to re-create one of my designs in new doc, and I was about to do it step by step... Darren you've saved my life. (Bob forgive me slight off topic).