Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rendering - OneRender

namleknamlek Member, Developers Posts: 5 ✭✭
I find that I can get decent results using OneRender. Here are some of my samples:

My first attempt

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

Salt/Pepper Mill

Comments

• Options
    michał_1michał_1 Member, Developers Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Nice, did you try other render apps?
  • Options
    michał_1 said:
    Nice, did you try other render apps?
    I tried all the integrated rendering apps.

For me, I found OneRender to give the best results and it seemed the most versatile of all the apps.

The lack of pre-defined materials in the MiGenius Reality Server app meant it took more work to get reasonable results, and I never really knew whether I was responsible for stopping the server.  

For some reason I couldn't get Clara.io Vizualizer to work properly after it started producing errors when I added it to my document so I gave up and went back to using OneRender. 
  • Options
    You should give Clara.io another chance, it's most developed one from integrated. Just open your file in editor, not visualizer.
  • Options
    thanks for the comment about Clara.io editor ... I'd missed that
  • Options
    I found out that there are a number of keyboard shortcuts you can use with OneRender, which may be useful to others.

Objects

<ctrl> A  Select All the objects (Note: if an object is already selected when you use <ctrl> A it will select all the objects which use the same material)

ESC  Deselects any selected object(s)

<ctrl> left-click to select multiple objects

If one or more objects are selected then the following shortcuts are available

R  Rotate the selected objects(s)

T  Translate the selected object(s)

S  Scale the selected object(s)

<ctrl> c  Copy selected object(s)

<ctrl> v  Paste selected object(s)

Camera

<ctrl> n  Add new camera

Z  Zoom to theselected object

.   (the dot  key) Sets the camera  target to the selected object

Panels

<ctrl> L   Open Lights panel

<ctrl> M  Open Materials panel

<ctrl> P  Open Camera panel

• Options
    With OneRender I had mainly problems with UI and I was missing texture mapping... also tessallation is to rough.
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Very nice renders.... 
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    manuel_garciamanuel_garcia Member, Developers Posts: 3
    Hi Mick (@namlek), thanks for your comments. I'm glad you found your way to create nice renders using OneRender.

Maybe you would be interested in testing our "Walkthrough video render" feature. If so, just let me know.

If there is anything we can help you with, just drop us a line.

Best,
    Manuel.
    Manuel Garcia
    OneRender - CTO
  • Options
    michał_1 said:
    With OneRender I had mainly problems with UI and I was missing texture mapping... also tessallation is to rough.
    Hi Michal (@michal_1), I'm very sorry to hear that. About texture mapping, certainly, we are working with the Onshape team to find a better way to handle this (mainly, it is an issue with the UV mapping). We have found that certain objects don't have a good quality UVs, we (OneRender and Onshape) are looking for a solution. I'll keep you posted.

About tessellation, OneRender only decimates data for the web-viewer but it uses the full data for rendering.

Let me know if you find any other issue, we are happy to help.

Best,
    Manuel.
    Manuel Garcia
    OneRender - CTO
  • Options
    jo_lpjo_lp Member Posts: 1
    Excuse me for bringing back this old thread@namlek but I wish to know which format did you use to export to onerender in order to get those results? I used .stl with very poor results and OneRender doesn't seem to support the other formats that Onshape works with.
  • Options
    Paul_ArdenPaul_Arden Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 164
    namlek said:

The lack of pre-defined materials in the MiGenius Reality Server app meant it took more work to get reasonable results, and I never really knew whether I was responsible for stopping the server. 
    Just to note, you can manually stop the server if you like but if you don't have any rendering activity it will terminate automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity.

We are working on a new application with easier to use functionality, the application is a very thin layer on top of the rendering and conversion engine which can be enhanced over time. Over the next few months we hope to role out a significantly improved application.
  • Options
    jo_lp said:
    Excuse me for bringing back this old thread@namlek but I wish to know which format did you use to export to onerender in order to get those results? I used .stl with very poor results and OneRender doesn't seem to support the other formats that Onshape works with.
    Hi Jo,

You shouldn't been thinking in 3D formats while using Onshape + OneRender since OneRender retrieves Onshape native data. If you could tell me a little bit more about your project, then we can help you to get better results. Remember that you can reach us through your account manager or via chat support (inside OneRender, in the left-bottom -> Help menu).

Best,
    Manuel.
    Manuel Garcia
    OneRender - CTO