Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

BUG - Split command breaks derived MC

Javier_López_del_PueyoJavier_López_del_Pueyo Member Posts: 74 PRO
edited September 11 in Product Feedback

I think I found a bug in the Split command (not necessarilly a bug but a consequence of how it is programmed, resulting in user incovenience).

When splitting a Part that has derived MCs, none of the splitted Parts keeps the derived Mate Connectors. This is due, I believe, to the fact that the split commands deletes the original derived Part and creates two new splitted Parts with some acquired properties (such as Part name), but does not keep the derived Mate Connectors from the original.

I made an example to illustrate this issue.

I have an original Part with two MC linked to it.

Then, I use the Derive command to create a Derived Part, bringing the MC along.

As it can be seen in the assembly, the MC associated with the Derived Part are kept.

However, when I use the Split command, the reference in the assembly is lost, and inserting the two newly created Parts doesnt bring any of the original MC with it.

This issue does not happen with boolean part operations, since you can choose which of the original Parts that are inserted into the boolean operation is kept.

I know it might but an issue hard to fix, since it is derived from the way the split command works. But, does anybody have a workaround to keep the original MCs?

Comments

• jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 160 PRO

Ugly, but it probably works. You could try a Transform "copy in place". split that copy, and use the result(s) as the tool in a subsequent boolean subtract.

• Javier_López_del_PueyoJavier_López_del_Pueyo Member Posts: 74 PRO
    edited September 12

Thanks for the advice, that definitely works and it might be the best workaround!