Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trust & App Store Partners

powpow Member Posts: 6
Professional users of Onshape obviously trust Onshape to keep their data safe, and keep their intillectual property secure.  Just curious how people feel about outside Apps and allowing them to access this data. I certainly am wary and am not a corporate/professional user. Is there an initial hesitation or are you all right with it just because you trust Onshape?   Are there certain concerns that Onshape should know about?
Onshape: what have you done to assure users that IP is protected as far as Apps go?

Comments

• Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    PW,

We have taken this topic very seriously and given it a lot of thought. There are thorough agreements in place for each partner to assure mutual data policies and security are honored. Technically we make sure no obvious issues are found. Each app undergoes an alpha, and beta submittal process to enter the App Store.  For partners that want to learn from Onshape. We offer support and consulting on best practices WRT to cloud and security. 

I think this is an issue you can take up with a given app provider. Each has their own Terms and Conditions they can share with you. I am sure they can answer any individual questions you have.

Joe Dunne

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    awkawk Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 78
    I'll add to Joes comment that we're not 'done'. We continue to examine how we can improve on the security of our users data, especially when it's shared with application partners. We're looking at how to balance an appropriate level of granular control whilst not overwhelming users with so many options that they just recoil from using an application nor should users be accustomed to just 'clicking through' a request for access with a 'yeah whatever' attitude.
    Director of API, Appstore, and App Partner Technical Support
  • Options
    rodney_peckrodney_peck Member Posts: 3
    I for one have a hesitation.
    When faced with the statement that the application can read my documents, with no clear statement saying that they are still private, I am concerned. In addition, I read the terms and see that the Application can use the asset (my documents) in their artwork (If you share Assets on the Service, you expressly grant ONERENDER and any user of the Service the right to create Artwork based on the Assets, and you understand that the copyright of any Artwork is solely that of the user.)
    Given that I am now sharing my data with them it is not explicitly clear that the term "share" here refers to my sharing with the application (i.e. giving permission to access my documents) or share with other users within the application. 
    Some wording that explicitly states that your private documents remain private is needed before the app store is ready for professional use in my opinion. If I have missed this in the EULA I would be happy for someone to point it out as I am extremely keen to use the app store, I just can't justify the risk right now.
  • Options
    rodney_peckrodney_peck Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2016

• Options
    OpenR2OpenR2 OS Professional Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    I assumed that the partners with complete integration would be running their code in OnShape's environment. I'm completely uncomfortable with outside access to my data.