Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to cut curved and profiled channel into cylinder?

eric_chavez540eric_chavez540 Member Posts: 2

How can i cut a curved channel into the cylinder so that it matches the profile of the tooth? I would like to create a similar mechanism to the image below. Since I intend to 3D print this, I don't want any +45° overhangs so a wedge shaped tooth would be more reliable. I've tried sketching the path I would like it to take and wrapping it to the cylinder, then sweeping the profile of the tooth, but since I can only sweep a face and not a 3D shape, the channel only reflects the profile straight on and not how the tooth should fit as it curves. Thanks!

Answers

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,802 PRO

Without a true 3D part sweep (like some other CAD systems have), your best bet in this case, with a cylindrical pin, is to create a swept surface which is normal to the cam cylinder, and then thicken that symmetrically by the diameter of the follower pin (plus a tolerance) and then manually add fillets where needed. Depending on your manufacturing method, the bottom of your cam track might just want to be a cylindrical offset of the stock diameter.

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭

A bit tired, so I haven't taken the time to fully absorb what is being discussed. But take a look at this document by Konstantin to see if anything in it would help

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/39369c7fe89d343a835363dc/w/4c259cbc4e31028ea24d5754/e/b0228ac5cf7949b4a73c17a8