Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

‘Import Scan’ using LIDAR not showing camera but white background

TheFriscoTheFrisco Member Posts: 5

I have been trying to use onShape Mobile Lidar scanning feature but all I see is a white background when I press “Import Scan” per all the instruction videos. And YES I gave the app camera permission!

Using an iPhone 16 Pro and a new latest generation iPad Pro.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Robert

Comments

• TheFriscoTheFrisco Member Posts: 5

So this is working for everyone else?

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,875 PRO

I used it with my iPad. The resolution is only so great. I also used third party apps to scan stuff with my iPad and iPhone. It seems somewhat useful for room scale things. Not so sure about furniture or handheld objects.

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting to see if more development will be done in this arena. It will be a great tool to use since Onshape can be used on mobile devices.

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• TheFriscoTheFrisco Member Posts: 5

It isn't working for me :-( … no image, just white background

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,875 PRO
    edited October 7

I have a iPhone 14 Pro that I just did this scan with. I have to say the Onshape in app UI is miserable since there's zero feedback. I thought I remembered some sort of feedback (maybe that was in the iPad app - I'll have to re-test). Other 3rd party apps give you quite a bit of feedback. I was moving slowly around an office chair, trying to get that in this scan. You can see 3 of the 5 legs of the base of the chair, but the resolution of the data is really only good enough to help with AR/VR placement of high res virtual assets.

If you're really interested in scanning, I would look at the Polycam app. There are a lot more tools to see what you're doing.