Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Pocket Knife Frustrations

angus_bott226angus_bott226 Member Posts: 4

Hello! My name is Angus and I am currently working on my own pocket knife design for my own use. The reason for this is due to me becoming bored with the designs currently on the market and the ones I am interested in are $300+

I would love any assistance available from people who know more than I on knife design and CAD in general as I am self taught. I am reachable on discord and would love to LEARN what will be done to improve and fine tune my design. The "rough" shape is about 85% of the way done. Then it's prototyping and fine tuning.

The end goal is to make my forever EDC and be able to gift one to my uncle before he passes.

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,931 PRO

Welcome to Onshape @angus_bott226! Please let us know what questions you have and share a link to your document so we can help you better.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • angus_bott226angus_bott226 Member Posts: 4

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b95e531d7ba20f7e90b7e9d6/w/5e1e625ad9fec78d09e06851/e/e03b2963aadc51cef5c8625e

Questions are for general organization and improvements of feature use and design, fine tuning tips and tricks, etc. I've done most of what I can reasonably do on my own at this point while juggling life and hobbies. I came to the forums for some live instruction(?) while working on it so I can retain the knowledge. I learn best through hands on direct instruction. Show me don't tell me, if that makes sense. I have trouble processing instructional videos for some reason, maybe my autism has something to do with it, not sure. I just really want to make a great knife for my uncle and to have something more to bond over. He's loved knives and woodworking his entire life and I haven't gotten to know him super well due to various factors.

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@angus_bott226 - One small thought here, because Onshape is so easy to use on any computer, you might want to think about including your uncle in the design process. Either online collaboration, or even in person with him looking over your shoulder. Keep it up.