Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

can't fillet of face blend

I have been dabbling with complex surfaces as a woodworker hobbyst and, while I can fillet edges in simple construct, I can't make it work in complex surfaces. In the latter case I can only make it work withe the "detached" box checked, which does not really help.

Here is an example: I try to create a fillet between the grey leg and the golden back rest and all failed. The grey leg is generated by a loft whose end profile is "buried" within the back rest. I then combine the two with a boolean operation (to create an edge at the junction of the two parts). Can anybody give me pointers as to what I do wrong here?

thanks

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2c8fb0010ef2fb0e7f44a81a/w/a7fb163b52bfdfa400ca8bf6/e/1239f79774cf5fe2032be86f?renderMode=0&uiState=670d3a123711ca4e0a4fcf1e

Answers

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 387

The grey and gold parts aren't actually booleaned together, so there's no edge to fillet between them.

• dominique_charmotdominique_charmot Member Posts: 9

Ooops, I just restored the boolean. However the problems persist….

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/2c8fb0010ef2fb0e7f44a81a/w/a7fb163b52bfdfa400ca8bf6/e/1239f79774cf5fe2032be86f?renderMode=0&uiState=670d67ebc09e2b514623a1b3

• MDesignMDesign Member Posts: 47 ✭✭

You have a lot of extra doodads going on in there but I just boolean'd arm back rest and upper back leg then applied a fillet. It has a limit in size of about 4.6mm because the seams on do not meet perfectly (you have to make sure to select that little line shown in pic since its not tangent). and it gets confused at that transition. When in doubt try a tiny fillet. if it works then go bigger and bigger till you find the trouble spot usually highlighted in red. If your sold on face blend. it will probably have the same issues at those points I didn't try face blends. Simple answer is don't waste your energy on creating edges to fillet when boolean or other tools will create those edges for you. So when your loft end is inside the the other part just boolean it together. no need to trim it back to meet up with the other part. Hope that make sense. If not let me know.