Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Plane Wing with loft

Alejandro_CobianAlejandro_Cobian Member Posts: 6

Hello, I am having trouble creating a plane wing. I am trying to loft the wing but I can't get the curvature down to enclose the wing. Any suggestions?

Comments

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,855 PRO

Lofting to a point is possible, but technically it creates a degenerate surface. I would try adding a section near the tip, and lofting to that, then create the tip with a fill surface.

If you share a public document, it would be easier to help.

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 742 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16

Something like this? I've had trouble with this in the past.

Someone was pressing for a lot more complicated wing and pushing limits so this sample is quite simplified. Lofting from profile to point worked fine until guides were added.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c735f911656197548a135a03/w/f0b97f029af9835d24cd6326/e/9f1d252e21538c0b5bbca246

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    edited October 16

@Alejandro_Cobian

Not going to lie - elliptical wings are tough to model (was for me). The problems that I had, were all in the wingtip (getting it to blend smoothly, lots of trial and error). Best solution I found was to loft the tip in two sections, split at the spar

I will link my spitfire model below, It is a large file so you may have to give it several minutes to load (depending on your computer, and models state of update).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f8325372b1cee20fbdd86e70/w/32560267c9871510da503545/e/46006a65a90d55eac1810927

This model was only for 3D modeling practice - not a true representation and was chosen because spitfires have few flat surfaces, or straight edges.

What level of detail are you trying to achieve - are you designing a real aircraft, RC aircraft, or a child's toy?

It's been a while, and I've forgotten exactly what I did - but find folder "wings", then find part named "wing skins". Maybe, you can see how I made it - and give you some ideas how to move forward.

• Alejandro_CobianAlejandro_Cobian Member Posts: 6

I'm designing for high school students. I am going to make a basic tutorial video so that my students can create their own models.

I appreciate the help!

@glen_dewsbury Why did you use a mate connector on sketch 2?

This is a simple design for students to use

• glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

The mate connecter gets sketch position without adding a plane to the feature list. Just little less clutter that can build in longer feature trees. Also, the mate connecter can be used off the end or center of a curve with less setup than the plane function, Once the student understands what a working plane is and its purpose then in most cases I find this is faster by building from existing geometry.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c735f911656197548a135a03/w/f0b97f029af9835d24cd6326/e/983b050d248fbcec995d2435

Got it. I read students. I use this in my class.

Here is this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pxD5SYzUSHHDUf_UE2Pi714_eEWO0w8LlpJH_CWvL6M/edit?usp=sharing

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@Alejandro_Cobian

This is slightly off topic - but a good part to use as a teaching example, is a hex head bolt. Relatively simple, but can demonstrate many basic commands (depending on how detailed you want to get). Just a thought.