Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problem with Shell-function

I made a shiphull (in this case for practise) in Freeship and exported it as an IGES-file. Then I imported it in Onshape. I want to 3D-print hulls in the future so Iam still learning.

After importing I made it to a part by using the command "fill"

After that I want to hollow out the newly made Part-1 For this I use the command "Shell"

But this is not working. Onshape shows red dots where the problems are. I am very new to this and I cant find a solution. Can somebody help me to overcome these problems?

The link to my document:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7ec2e442752b3c9ce343a3e1/w/1ca26d10faeb105f968939ef/e/f3fc28d428dfae45302faa59?renderMode=0&uiState=670f8eef8c0d2470fce077dc

Some of my previous work. Oldscool scratchbuild. But I want to mover further and start 3d-printing.

Best Answer

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,935 PRO
    edited October 16 Answer ✓

Technically Onshape can work with meshes like stl, but it doesn't work well at the moment. It appears your iges is part mesh or was created with a mesh, based on the web of edges all along the edges? Perhaps with more polishing from Onshape's side, meshes will be usable in the future. For now, meshes only work well as reference objects.

Onshape's native file type is Parasolid. It also handles SLDPRT and STEP files very well. You may have to use the mesh as a reference model to recreate it in Onshape.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,935 PRO
    edited October 16 Answer ✓

Technically Onshape can work with meshes like stl, but it doesn't work well at the moment. It appears your iges is part mesh or was created with a mesh, based on the web of edges all along the edges? Perhaps with more polishing from Onshape's side, meshes will be usable in the future. For now, meshes only work well as reference objects.

Onshape's native file type is Parasolid. It also handles SLDPRT and STEP files very well. You may have to use the mesh as a reference model to recreate it in Onshape.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • MDesignMDesign Member Posts: 54 ✭✭

Amazing work. Can you export to another format other than iges? Have to find a format that plays nice with onshape (not mesh files) or recreate in onshape based on imported geometry.

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 390

The model is actually a proper b-rep, even though it looks like a mesh. :P It won't behave very well, though - shell can be temperamental. The keel (I think that's what it's called?), for one, can be greatly simplified. I think you'd want to delete many of these faces and fill them in with bigger patches.

• cornelis_de_molcornelis_de_mol Member Posts: 4

Thank you all for your answers and help. I gues the route I wanted to go is not possible because as far as I can tell, Freeship is working with a mesh. I will try to export/import a simplified hull and when that's not working I will look for another way to print my shiphulls.