Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

New Feature (work in progress): Curve Deviation

josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 143 EDU

Displays the distance between two curves as a color-coded 3D curve.
Deviation curve scale is user defined.
Number of evaluation points is user defined
Deviation bounds is user defined (if deviation is beyond bound, curve is red.
Cylinder can be displayed to help visualize how close the deviation is to the bound
Circles can be displayed to show location and amount of max deviation

Try it on the example tab by editing the control point curve with FINAL on.

Code: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0c9c1d6da0265651452fb454/w/a19d49c88c42cd1c1f7eecaf/e/20ee6cec93a45585bdcdf72c
example tab: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0c9c1d6da0265651452fb454/w/a19d49c88c42cd1c1f7eecaf/e/511d2a5d9fc7bf0b9382fa4c

Comments

• josh_targojosh_targo Member Posts: 143 EDU

Crosshairs added to better understand where max deviation is located.

It's actually quite fun to see how small you can get the deviation to be.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,855 PRO
    edited October 17

This deviation graph is interesting, but I would vote for using something like what is in the code for Dihedral analysis. That would be more consistent with Onshape and similar to other tools (like Alias). Your graph is nice when the curve is simple, but in cases where the curve is more complex, it might be harder to mentally map the chord-normalized graph to the curve.

Before Dihedral analysis was built in, @GregBrown had a custom feature which I modified a bit. Here's an example of what can be done in a custom feature. Creating a composite was a way to make the graph visible but a single thing to turn on/off. Unfortunately it kills the color coding, unless you're looking at the feature.

• GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 187

Yes I agree with @S1mon the visualization might get overwhelmed. I'm playing with the prototype (thanks @josh_targo !) and will experiment with a few things.

BTW I really appreciate the two of you weighing in with expert opinions and observations on this and a few other issues recently…

you can select one of your curves as the basis line for the deviation plot, but it is currently measured perpendicularly to the chord. I can work on making it normal to the curve, and with porcupine hairs. I can't see the code for dihedral, so I am writing this from scratch, and am still learning how to do things.

porcupine is live, next step is rewriting to give option to have them normal to curve

V13 - porcupine now normal to curve (or chord if the user selects that as the display spine.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0c9c1d6da0265651452fb454/w/a19d49c88c42cd1c1f7eecaf/e/20ee6cec93a45585bdcdf72c