Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

NX inspired features like Basic Curve and WCS

I enjoy working with sketch, and it works really well, but I miss being able to generate "Dumb" non-parametric curves like in Siemens NX 2212.

Sometimes I wish, I had a feature like basic curve combined with a WCS (Work Coordinate System), so I can make lines in any direction without being constrained to predefined plane. It would also be easier to place planes with a unique direction with a WCS.

I see how basic curves may not harmonize with the vision of Onshape. A big part of Onshape is being able to set up a model in such a way, that I can edit something and all sketches after it update accordingly. But I would love it, if users had the option to do otherwise, because there are just certain things you can't do with sketch.

Comments

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,795 PRO

Have you looked at this?

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/24874/routing-curve-control-point-curve-introduction-of-two-new-features-for-3d-curve-creation/p1

Also, mate connectors are coordinate systems and you can use them instead of planes for all sorts of things, including placing a 2D sketch (as a quick way to place a sketch at some arbitrary location/orientation by editing the mate connector offsets.

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,855 PRO

Bridge curve with position at each end will allow you to place lines at relatively arbitrary locations - albeit connected to existing geometry. When Control Point Curve becomes a real built in feature, I certainly expect it to have similar abilities to drag end points along other edges/curves.