Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

purpose of setting the origin or chosing a new defined mate in a context design?

kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

So I use "in context design" a lot and it is a very powerful way to design something that works together with other parts.

I have noticed that nothing much changes when you choose the origin or when you make a self defined mate as origin for your in context design. I followed the "in context design" course till about 50% now, and I still am no wiser as to why you have to chose the origin opposed to it simply being the origin of the assembly?

I tried both and I cannot find any advantage of chosing your own mate, so please let somebody explain to me what is the difference and for what is it used normally?

I am sure I am missing something which could be really useful, so I want to add that to my tool box if I can.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,811 PRO
    Answer ✓

The main reason why you would want to use a specific mate connector is that the origin of the in context part will follow that mate connector, and the front/right/top orientation of the in-context part can be set that way instead of following the assembly origin and orientation.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,950 PRO
    edited October 21 Answer ✓

The advantage of selecting a mate connector would be when you want the part studio's planes and origin to align with the center of a specific part. For example, maybe your creating a robotic arm and you have a cylinder that isn't at the assemblies origin. If you use a mate connector as the origin reference, your part studio can start with it's planes and origin correctly placed on that cylinders axis. This way you can immediately start using those planes to create sketches, instead of having to create another mate connector to reference the cylinder again.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎

Answers

• eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,811 PRO
    Answer ✓

The main reason why you would want to use a specific mate connector is that the origin of the in context part will follow that mate connector, and the front/right/top orientation of the in-context part can be set that way instead of following the assembly origin and orientation.

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,950 PRO
    edited October 21 Answer ✓

The advantage of selecting a mate connector would be when you want the part studio's planes and origin to align with the center of a specific part. For example, maybe your creating a robotic arm and you have a cylinder that isn't at the assemblies origin. If you use a mate connector as the origin reference, your part studio can start with it's planes and origin correctly placed on that cylinders axis. This way you can immediately start using those planes to create sketches, instead of having to create another mate connector to reference the cylinder again.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • kees_bijkerkees_bijker Member Posts: 78 ✭✭

Thank you eric_pesty and MichaelPascoe, Very clear and to the point.

I will have to try it from this point of view once and see what I can get done better and faster this way.

Kind regards,

Kees