Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Rib

amir_livneamir_livne Member Posts: 82 EDU

Hi

I'm looking for a solution of creating a rib that will fit exactly the 2 edges (in black)

Thank you

Amir Livneh

Kinneret College

Israel

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,948 PRO
    edited October 21

Split the faces of the sides of the cylinders using either mate connectors or planes, then loft the faces together:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1a78f28907f923d15d28e1fe/w/933e4b5325a4c29b8fa50a8e/e/fdd3596…

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Something like this?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c735f911656197548a135a03/w/f0b97f029af9835d24cd6326/e/532399be54d8e084b9d6a32a

• rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    edited October 21

Are you sure that you need to add that level of complexity to your design? After looking at both Michael's and Glen's models, (i.e. they do seem to meet your requirements ) - it seems that a simple rib with full rounded edges would be both strong enough, and look nice, while being easier to model and manufacture. Just a thought.

It is an interesting abstract modeling exercise though.

• jelte_steur814jelte_steur814 Member Posts: 157 PRO

wouldn't this work? it's much simpler… creating a curved surface on such a technical detail seems overkill.

add a fillet perhaps…

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4f0fa74d4ca7937627e262af/w/24f6fb13ad005564b17b6af7/e/3172a53927d31582c0cd238d?renderMode=0&uiState=671776ea5825d7318d6d3b50

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,875 PRO

This all really depends on the production method and the goals of the part. It also depends on what is modeled vs what is manufactured (e.g. ribs on injection molded parts will end up with ~0.05-0.1mm fillets unless there's venting from a parting line/insert/lifter). When I model for injection molding, there are details that I would leave out - the above mentioned tiny fillets - but others like draft, that I always model. In some industries leaving out draft and letting the tooler add it is considered standard practice, but for the stuff I work on it would be a disaster.

If that rib was cosmetic, then having it be lofted between those edges could be perfectly normal. If it's being modeled that way so it matches up with a traditional 2D part drawing (where there was no 3D CAD), then I also question it.

So I would ask @amir_livne what the goal of modeling this part is, and then we can be more thoughtful about the "right" answer.