Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

What is the proper approach in onshape for splitting model into multiple parts? (reverse assembling)

dominik_panasdominik_panas Member Posts: 11
edited October 24 in Drawings

Ive started designing a month ago and already faced this problem twice, this is 3rd time. I design something, test it, design again and at some point im like "ok i should probably split this into two/multiple parts".

For example currently i have this model

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/089bf14321e096ed62971769/w/ba9a1bb16af4c75e23d77516/e/3f172d06fe674ef77ff452fe

At some point i decided to split it into 2 parts - (elastic) "ball" part and its base with a hole and (hard) the "disk" part in which i will just push the elastic part in. Here is where i want to make a joint (red lines)

So what is the approach in such situations? Before i re-created my parts from scratch but this is painful

1. Remove disk and try to recreate it? I already use some variables but the point of joint highly depend on balls curve so it cant be measured upfront.
  2. Copy/paste the model on the side and remove disk from ball model and ball part from disk model? I would also have to copy/paste sketch too.
  3. Duplicate whole document, do things from point2 and then import the disk from separate document?
  4. Add those "cut" lines in sketch and make 2 separate extrude/revolve as NEW features?

Comments

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,948 PRO
    edited October 24

Usually you would just start off using two separate revolves.

In the case where you forgot and it would be a huge pain, you can revolve those red lines as a surface, then use the Split feature and split the part with the surface. Note that the split feature requires the surface to completely pass through the part, it can't be mostly to the edge of the part.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎