Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Fillet or Face Blend on Icosahedron

l_m724l_m724 Member Posts: 8

Hi guys

I'm designing a 3D-printable watering can using a Icosahedron as the main body. Unfortunately, i got huge difficulties rounding the edges. I want a slight Fillet or Face Blend to improve printability and make the handle more comfortable, but i'm unable to apply it to some edges. I get a range unhelpful errors like "Failed to blend faces" or "Failed to filet selection" "Selection of edges at vertex is too complicated for fileting", and i can't recognize from the preview, where the issue is coming from.

Can anyone explain to me, why it is so hard to fillet the edges of the icosahedron? :)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a4924dd6214d808fad09e12d/w/90131a7713b3a74bc2bdf488/e/fc8f260d15c8a72a8828952c?renderMode=0&uiState=671a2961feb57e55b4563a84

Comments

• MDesignMDesign Member Posts: 64 ✭✭

When your looking at the preview. look for red highlighted areas for potential problems. You may have to do some of it in a series of steps rather than all the edges at once. I did a lot of them with fillet inside and out shown in pic, but I ran into some inconsistencies in geometry somewhere where it would fillet things the differently in one spot when it should be identical to another spot. Not sure what was going on there. depending on target radius you may have to fillet certain thing before others so you don't end up with self intersecting problems.

Also you could of simplified your base object creation with just polar arrays and mirror features. Once the first loft triangular pyramid was done. no need for any more sketches and extrusions/lofts. Here's an example of just 3 fillet features getting all the edges.exterior, interior and then the opening edge.

It is interesting there is a place here where the handle sketch 7 doesn't line up perfect and not fully constrained. but when boolean 6 gets applied that cleans up. I wonder if this isn't was I'm seeing in the inconsistent fillets for similar parts of the objects.