Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
Feature Request: help text in feature UI
a short description of each choice ( sometimes), and help text.
I've also been unable to figure out how to display a friendly message to a user when there is a problem.
Combined, this makes usability poor.
Suppose, for the sake of argument, that i have the user selecting two planes, and they cannot be perpendicular.
(1) i have no way to tell the user "these planes must not be perpendicular" in the UI.
(2) the best i can do is
throw regenError ( ErrorNumber.INVALID_INPUT, [ definition.choice1, definition.choice2] );
which does highlight the choices, but doesn't tell the user what actually was wrong.
(3) there is no way in the preconditions to check that they are not perpendicular, so to make matters worse, unless the user happens to have the featurescript debug window open, the user will dismiss the box before realizing it is broken.
I think there should be solutions to all three of these. an overloaded signature for regenError with a message that displays in the UI, an annotation on the user inputs that allows setting a short description, and a single annotation somewhere on the feature itself that gives a block comment or help page. ( I think since this is large, it would ideally be displayed in a help bubble on request by the user ).
The inability to test complex conditions in the preconditions might be too difficult to change, since that's kind of baked in at the language level.