Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Revolute Mate X,Y Translation

gabriel_stein118gabriel_stein118 Member Posts: 6 EDU
Hey, I'm wondering if anybody knows how to create a revolute mate that accounts for x or y translation. For example, consider a vertical cylinder pointing in the z direction. I also have a ball that lies on the same plane as the face of the top of the cylinder, but it is offset some amount in the x direction. I want to create a mate such that I can rotate the ball around the cylinder, but I want to maintain the x difference that separates the two parts. Does anybody know if this is possible or feasible? If so, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Essentially what a revolute is doing is bringing the origin of the two mate connectors together and allowing for rotation about the blue axis.  The mate connector is the center of rotation.  If you want the center of rotation to be offset, then edit the mate connector and move it the distance you want.

1. Create a revolute of the two parts.  This will line up the centers of the parts and put the mate connectors on top of one another.  Expand the list and right click on the mate connector of the part you want to move and select edit.  This will bring up the edit dialog.

2. In the x-axis, move the mate connector by the desired amount.  For my example the big cylinder is 80mm and little is 50 in diameter.  The distance from center to center would be 65mm.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Here is a public document that shows several interesting mating cases as relates to weldments (including this case). 
    Worth at least looking at it to see how all these mating cases can be achieved.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6ba1e39775d942b78b0c84f1/w/cdfcad3a3d7f4565ad4ffef4/e/c45e7d1329f146e597504255

and of course we are always working on new and better ways of doing things (hint hint ;))

Philip Thomas - Onshape