Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why does this loft fail?

øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Can a 3d curve be used as the guide path for a loft? I can't get it to work. In the following model, I created a 3d curve from the intersection of two surfaces created from splines. Then I created two curve point planes at the ends of the curve, and sketched a (identical) profile on each, piercing one vertex to the intended guide curve (I also tried coincident constraint, but the result is the same). I also added vertices to match.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/396c89a0c682d3c108fec0cd/w/d48a59923f2f1ddb56381661

Why doesn't this work? Onshape insists that this loft would create a self-intersecting body, but I don't understand why. My ultimate goal is to have more profiles along the guide curve to control twisting of the profile, but I thought I'd start with the simplest possible model, but quite clearly either I'm missing something, or this is currently not possible in Onshape.

Best Answer

Answers

• øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I added a new part studio (copy of the first), and added a third profle along the curve, but the loft fails with the same error.
  • øyvind_kaurstadøyvind_kaurstad Member Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Aha. The guide just can't work as a rail that the complete profile is bound to follow like I thought (like a more controlled sweep). Well, that makes it quite a bit more laborious to achieve what I want. Oh, well. Thanks anyway!