Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Holes angled to normal

jonathan_meadjonathan_mead Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm trying to draw a cylinder head for a small single cylinder engine. The hole for the spark plug needs to be drilled at an angle of 15 degrees from vertical through the head. I have the position where the hole needs to end up in the combustion chamber side, and need to bore through to the topside of the head.I have spent the past three hours trying to find a way to do this. Can anyone help? 

Best Answer

Answers

• jonathan_meadjonathan_mead Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. It worked perfectly once I'd figured out how to put a construction line in the right place to align the new plane at 15 degrees to the bottom face of the head. I then was able to construct a second plane parallel to the first but above the head and extrude down the other way to provide a recess for the threaded section of the plug. It still needs some tidying up, but the principle seems to work.
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 660
    Another option that fits in with the hole workflow is to use a 'Move face' command after with a rotation.

1. On the point you want to create a hole, add a construction line that goes through it to be used as the axis of rotation of the hole.

2. Make your hole as your normally would and see that it is created without the angle.

3. Turn on the visibility of the sketch you used to make the hole.  Start a 'Move face' command.  Change the type to be rotation, select all of the faces of the hole as the faces to rotate, and then select the construction line as the axis of rotation.  This will cause the hole to be angled at whatever value is entered.

1.png 70.2K
    2.png 127.1K
    3.png 113.7K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com