Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Dynamic Hose, Rope, Chains, etc and Flexible objects

Jose_4Jose_4 OS Professional Posts: 3
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Is there anyway to make dynamic hoses within assemblies that are able to flex bend and still hold the connecting ends together?
I am trying to use assemblies but it seems trying to make the hosing separately is fools errand. It seems I am going to have to basically assemble the whole thing in a part studio and connect the hosing there...but all my parts across multiple studios etc. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Jose_4Jose_4 OS Professional Posts: 3

So I need a hose with female connector on both sides to attach from point A to point B... This is a print of my current assembly.. doing the hose without having everything assembled is going to be a biatch in partstudio...unless onshape deforms the spline to connect between 2 fixed objects. 
  • Options
    adam_mercieradam_mercier OS Professional Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I'm interested in that too. But I would need to do it in an assembly because I have imported parts. There is a workaround to export/import my complete assembly and to derivate it into a part studio, then create the hoses. 
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Jose_4 - I started by trying to make my example way too complicated. Until we have 3D splines, your best bet is to derive all the start/end locations into a new (single) part studio and build the hoses there. You will probably use the workaround that Adam describes if this is an assembly. Each route (for simplicity) should be a series of planar sketch segments that you then sweep along. You may use lines, arcs and splines (as in my example). This is not ideal, but it is workable if you need to model hoses/pipes. There are newer/better works flows coming, but i don't want to tease you with screenshots now. 
    Please feel free to ask any questions about this proposed solution.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6bc48c39c5a09028c4bf8b6e/w/64421617f25e9a184237ca3a/e/4dc8d1b527fa8b74b77800c9

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    jon_butlerjon_butler Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

This last post was a year ago, but it perfectly describes what I need to do. Have the workflows to achieve this now been added?

Thanks
  • Options
    owen_sparksowen_sparks Member, Developers Posts: 2,660 PRO
    Hi @jon_butler

I've not worked with this example but I'd check out a pair of featurescripts, the 3D spline (with a sweep of yout choice) or the wiring featurescript that may get there in one hit. 

Owen S.
    Business Systems and Configuration Controller
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Hi Owen,

Thanks for the reply. I am new to Onshape and the issue for me is that the parts I want to fit the hoses between are linked from parts libraries and don't exist in a part studio. So there is no way to get the geometry from the Assembly to a part studio to create the spline. 

Am I missing something, or can this just not be done in Onshape?

Best regards
  • Options
    Hi @jon_butler

No problem.  The short answer is yes.  The last update but one brought us "In Context Editing" or ICE.  This allows us to take a snapshot of the state of an assembly and use that in a part studio to allow the design of parts that need such relationships.

I highly reccomend checking out @cody_armstrong 's webinar recording of ICE for a great introduction to OS's approach to the concept.

Having got some points in space in a partstudio (from the transfer of the assembly locations via ICE) then we'd join those points with either the wiring FS or the 3D spline and a sweep.

This is just my take.  Others with more experiance may well offer up other better methods.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd
  • Options
    Brilliant! Thanks Owen, that worked perfectly.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    Wooo, (with a side order of Hoo).

Glad to hear OS is bending to your will.

Cheers,

Owen S.
    HWM-Water Ltd