Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

easiest way to center 2 holes between 2 lines

paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
i'm sure there's a trick for this.  i recently wanted to add a pair of mounting holes to a rectangular object.  to center the holes, i found myself creating one construction line between and perpendicular to the edges of the object, another between the holes, then creating midpoints for each of those lines, and finaly connecting those midpoints with a third construction line which was parallel to the object edges.  kind of a mess, really.

what's the easy way?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    thanks.  i hadn't thought of using multiple lines like that -- i kept trying to use one line, and adding points along it.  much easier with multiples.  i'd also forgotten about the 'equal' constraint.  in my case (where the distance between was not the same as distance from edge) i would have used just 3 segments, set the inter-hole distance on the middle segment, and set the other two equal.

definitely the right technique.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    As with all things CAD, there are 10 ways to do anything.
    Perhaps slightly easier would be to take advantage of the built-in center point created by 'center point' rectangles.
    Ok, a lot easier :)
    (you could also sketch mirror about a vertical construction line)

Philip Thomas - Onshape