Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Versions as different parts?

mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Community Support
Okay so what i'm really wanting to do is have two different pieces I create a first one and want to duplicate that one into it's own version then edit only that one. I've figured out that using versions seems to be the wrong way of doing this. How do i toggle between versions as not view only?
John McConnell - Let's change things.
Saplingstore.com

Answers

• Options
    mcconnell113mcconnell113 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I believe I've figured it out. I can just duplicate the part studio. I still don't understand how to revert, it seems like some of the history is missing or something.
    John McConnell - Let's change things.
    Saplingstore.com
  • Options
    cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 213
    @mcconnell113 This seems like an ideal case for branching?  Have you tried that?
  • Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @mcconnell113 Do you want to create duplicate of any part and change only one part so that it will automatically update another part which is duplicated? In such case you can use "derived" option in another part studio. This will keep the associativity between two parts. Refer the below screen image 

After creating the first part, you can just click "Derived" option in another part studio which will allow you to select the the available parts,sketches, surfaces etc. available in the document.