Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Master Model

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
I'm I missing something or is there no Master Model method in OS - i.e. ability to derive multiple parts from a base part that drives the derive parts?

Mark

Comments

• Options
    andy_morrisandy_morris Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 87
    Onshape doesn't support base/derived part workflows yet.

The current version of Onshape has the ability to model multiple parts (bodies) within a single Part Studio. There are basic split and copy part tools as well as the "New part" Boolean option for features.
    Andy Morris / Head of Product Design / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    By definition a part studio is a master model. But you cannot yet insert one part studio into another. So you will need to create all the parts in a single history. Keep in mind Onshape does this with a lot less restrictions than you would have using say SolidWorks. If you want to create a motion study, you create a assembly and insert the entire part studio.

So we have tackled the conflict between Top Down, and Bottom up design by just keeping things simple. You use a part studio to model and you use the assembly for BOM, and motion study.

I think you are looking for the equivalent of split part type of capabilities? We definitely will address this workflow. It is on the plan, and a high priority. There are many different variations on inserting, parting out and referencing one part or part studio into another Part studio or one part into another document. etc....

So today you will need to do your master model design as a single Part Studio..

LIke I said this is high on the list of things are are planning. The good news is when we do it, you wont have any of the typical file based problems, like the inability to edit the derived part, because it is missing (file based issues).

Also we have to consider the whole sharing and permission aspect when it comes to derived parts. This adds another layer of capabilities you don't get with file based approach.

I know you know this already. Just figured I would chime in a little.

Joe

Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Figured one more bit of perspective.

We are targeting machine design capabilities for the initial release. And that set the priorities of what needed to be in the product.

I think you would admit the derived concept for master model workflow is less common for the typical machine designer? ... However when we start focusing on consumer design, clearly this is going to be a workflow required.

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, MM approach is less common for machine design but over the past 10 years IS becoming more common for machine design namely because of SW and I see a lot of engineers using it for simple machine designs because it works so much Better for static machine structures than does in-context assembly part design and skeleton sketch approaches.

OS is 3/4th the way their because they have embraced multi-body but to satisfy the MM approach you need the ability to inset one part into another. The need for Master model is mainly to satisfy the master/slave approach that is so common in the product design industry whether it be machine design or consumer design; the need to "protect" the master from other team members modifying it and to drive changes from the master down to the derived parts.

M
  • Options
    Mark_SandersMark_Sanders Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    JoeDunne said:

Figured one more bit of perspective.

We are targeting machine design capabilities for the initial release. And that set the priorities of what needed to be in the product.

I think you would admit the derived concept for master model workflow is less common for the typical machine designer? ... However when we start focusing on consumer design, clearly this is going to be a workflow required.

Joe

Hey Joe,

Why is the focus on prismatic / machine design ?
    Is it because that is the largest market ?
    Is it because that is what most existing solidworks users do ?
    Is it because this is the easier part of a CAD system to code/design ?

Is it to establish a basic workflow, and framework on which to also use for consumer design ?
    If so, is that appropriate ? eg Do Consumer product designers think & work like machine designers ?

Fascinating stuff you are doing ... user focused (CAD) design.

Are there white papers ?, discussions ? or mission statements ? .. that setout OS roadmap ?
    If so please share - links or even PM's .. this is an opportunity to do something amazing (again), rather than another 'me too'.

mark, UK