Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Material properties and part color after boolean union

Emily_Qi_WangEmily_Qi_Wang Member Posts: 13 EDU
One of the Features that @Lauren_Froschauer and I have made recently involves creating some cylinders (via fCylinder) and then performing a opBoolean (specifically: BooleanOperationType.UNION) to combine them with an already existing part. One issue is that the newly created cylinders are a different color from the existing part, and performing the union causes the existing part to change color to the cylinders' color. Another issue is that this boolean operation results in the existing part losing its material properties.

Is there a way to change this behavior such that the boolean result retains the color and properties of the existing part rather than the freshly created cylinders?

I looked at the documentation page for opBoolean in FsDoc and did not see a relevant parameter for this, and am unsure where in the standard library to find a helpful example. Any comments/guidance would be greatly appreciated; thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Emily_Qi_WangEmily_Qi_Wang Member Posts: 13 EDU
    @ilya_baran -- Thanks! I'm glad that this was resolved with a simple change to the query; it would be great for this piece of info to be included in the opBoolean entry in FsDoc since it wasn't an intuitive thing for Lauren and I to try while coding.