Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

No 2nd Direction

mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
Okay, you know I had to mention this one and I'm surprised appalled that you are omitting it from the most prolific modeling tool in your product (or any 3D CAD). The fact is that without 2nd direction the designer will not be able to achieve certain design intents like "Thru All" not to mention many other conditions. We live and model in a 3D world, but to think in only one direction is to omit half that world. I can imagine why this is not there; simplicity, clean interface, but these are not good reasons to omit it. Engineers (and I too) love simple to use products, but we also have to have a default set of proper tools. Engineers are not simpletons...

Mark

Comments

• Options
    scott_harrisscott_harris Moderator, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 66
    Hi Mark,
    Yes.. we have not implemented two direction extrude yet. We will... In the mean time, simply do it in two steps (pick the sketch or face to be extruded again go the other way). I know.. it is not as simple or as clean but we currently have lots of features with no easy work-arounds that we need to implement. The good news is that we will roll them out to you as they are done.

/Scott
    Scott Harris / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options
    BrandonshapeBrandonshape Member Posts: 7
    I was going to mention this too. This is major!

Additionally from options are super important. Aka from: offset, sketch plane, etc. I use from offsets all the time with modeling.
  • Options
    Aaron_Easton_NickovichAaron_Easton_Nickovich Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I have to say I hated this, too. If at all possible, I try to sketch on the top 3 planes to avoid breaking my models if I make changes later. But, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get around this. In my CAD package at work, once a solid model is produced from a sketch, the sketch gets absorbed and theres no way to make a new cut or extrusion from that same sketch without using an external sketch reference. And I'm sure we all experienced an assembly blow up with red marks when a design change unexpectedly moved something that was externally referenced. Not to mention the lack of a working "undo button" to make it go back!

All I'm saying is, at least you can pick that one sketch and cut twice without destroying your model!
  • Options
    mark_biasottimark_biasotti Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    Hi Aaron, Not sure what CAD system you are referring to (about not being able to reuse sketches- could it be Creo? ) My point is that just doing the extrude twice with the same sketch is not the same as having 2nd direction extrude in the same feature. They are different things because they represent two different design intents.

Mark