Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating Beveled Edges

liam_boyleliam_boyle Member Posts: 8
So I'm working on designing out a modern version of an antique blade.

I need the handle and interior area to have a thickness of 6 mm and then symmetrically taper out to the exterior edge.

I did a symmetrical extrude to the correct thickness, now I need to bring the material out in a wedge to the outer spline curve.  My apologies for the noob question but I didn't see quite how to do this in the help or the videos.  If it is there could you all pleade point me in the right direction.

Best Answer

• Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 Answer ✓
    I was coincidentally thinking about almost this exact same situation the other day, so I gave it a try.  Here's my (in my opinion) fairly terrible take on what you started:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56d4a9afe4b02da21ba11c9f/w/9f61de78675dd80f47144111/e/1f2ae805e0176896e58240fe

The main thing I did was make a surface loft from the upper surface inner portion of the blade to the midpoint outer edge of the blade.  That is where I started running into trouble.  I would usually just split the bodies using this surface, but I think it didn't like the fact that the back side of the blade is a non planer surface.  I ended up thickening the surface and then splitting it and then deleting the bodies I didn't want.  Finally, I added a triangle to your base sketch to trim out a small residual surface defect that resulted from Booleaning  the previous operations together.  Hopefully somebody more familiar with Onshape's surfacing capabilities will come up with a better solution.

Answers

• Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    If you share a link to your public document I'm sure that someone would be glad to show you how to loft this.
  • Options
    I just made it a public document "Yataghan 3" not sure how to generate the links yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Just cut and paste from your browser address.

Here's the LINK for anyone interested.

Thanks
  • Options
    Below is my attempt at your knife edge ask if there's still any questions.

Link

HTH
    _Dave_
  • Options
    Thank you.  
  • Options
    matthew_menardmatthew_menard Member Posts: 96 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016 Answer ✓
    I was coincidentally thinking about almost this exact same situation the other day, so I gave it a try.  Here's my (in my opinion) fairly terrible take on what you started:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56d4a9afe4b02da21ba11c9f/w/9f61de78675dd80f47144111/e/1f2ae805e0176896e58240fe

The main thing I did was make a surface loft from the upper surface inner portion of the blade to the midpoint outer edge of the blade.  That is where I started running into trouble.  I would usually just split the bodies using this surface, but I think it didn't like the fact that the back side of the blade is a non planer surface.  I ended up thickening the surface and then splitting it and then deleting the bodies I didn't want.  Finally, I added a triangle to your base sketch to trim out a small residual surface defect that resulted from Booleaning  the previous operations together.  Hopefully somebody more familiar with Onshape's surfacing capabilities will come up with a better solution.

• Options
    So, after reading the posted answers, I created two three point planes at either end of the area in question and sketched in some bevel triangles.  I then did a surface loft from the edge of the interior spline curve to the exterior curve and then repeated the process on the other side.  The result is below.
  • Options
    +1 Nice 
  • Options
    Thanks _Dave_ I did the same thing for the triangular area above the spine.  Now I just have to add the pin holes to the tang (handle area) section and add some grooves near the spine to reduce weight.

Then I can move on to the rest of the pieces and final assembly.