Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Problems with Tangent Mate

I'm trying to draw a camera mount assembly and I have been playing around with the various mate features. In my current drawing I want the "Contact Assurance Device" - silly name, to swivel around the end flanges as though it has bearings on it and can roll.  When I do this it sometimes works and sometimes tells me things are inconsistent.  Also, even though there are two of them and are done separately, they seem to move as one.  Something I only want to happen later on when they are connected by rods.

I don't know if this is the right way to link to my document but here it is:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f5e8fcbad57136b903546cf6/w/f040dc06b25df32d39bb5f4d/e/b5eb7b7b2b1b627b2757fe44

I can try to explain this better if need be. I may have not explained it very well. Thanks in advance for your time.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    ryan_thiessen999ryan_thiessen999 Member Posts: 12
    An update.  I got things to lock down a bit better but its currently stuck from moving and claims to be overdefined, although I am not sure why.
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @ryan_thiessen999  I've been working at it and having issues also.

_Dave_
  • Options
    ryan_thiessen999ryan_thiessen999 Member Posts: 12
    _Dave_ said:
    @ryan_thiessen999  I've been working at it and having issues also.

_Dave_
    I think I have that part working (not figured out though) but now my problem is making the lower bearing follow the lower curve without overconstraining.

Is there a way to select only part of a continuous tangent run for a tangent mate?
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Ryan, glad we were able to get you sorted out. Here is the full worked solution :)

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/comment/16475#Comment_16475

Philip Thomas - Onshape