Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Detailed scheduling from models.

Gary_CreaneyGary_Creaney Member Posts: 10
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/56d8154ae4b03325213b76e8/w/af0933d87fed905d58a7a11b/e/7d7ed29c637625b9fbc651b1

Hi guys, I have watched webinars and read through the forums a lot and some of the messages from the Onshape team seems to be "try to use Onshape professionally" & "let us know what can be improved".

The model at the link below is a basic curtain wall screen, vertical mullions, horizontal transoms and support bracketry. The relevant notches, preps' and holes have also been shown. There are many more elements that could be added such as fasteners, glass, gaskets, thermal breaks, pressure plates, covers caps, joint sleeves etc, etc.

As this is something I professionaly work at, I can tell you that my company is crying out for software that will allow a model like this to be drawn up and by clicking a few buttons, a bill of materials is generated as well as cutting (fabrication) sheets of the individual members for workshop fabrication (to include cut lengths, notch preps etc.)

Is it conceived that Onshape will ever become capable of achieving this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    @Gary_Creaney , Yes user can achieve near about all your requirement in Onshape. Now Onshape is capable of creating complex to complex model. Kindly go through Onshape app store application which will be helpful to you to achieve your requirement.
  • Options
    cadmandocadmando Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Not sure I maybe missing something, I have tried using both BOM's in the App Store and both seem only to give a list of parts/part no's with no sizes/lengths or other data.
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Gary - we are working day and night to deliver the functionality that our professional users need to get their jobs done. 
    A cut-list capability is absolutely on the list and we will get to it.
    Please continue to use Onshape for all the aspects of your work for which it already excels (and that a full-cloud app provides that traditional CAD cannot).
    It is also likely that you will already have a CAD tool that can output a cut list - until we have that capability, you could export the parts to your other system and generate the cut list there.
    We really appreciate your support of Onshape and are working to meet your needs as fast as we can. :)
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    oleg_shilovitskyoleg_shilovitsky Member, Developers Posts: 131 PRO
    @Gary_Creaney

Hi Gary, I'm Oleg Shilovitsky -founder of http://openbom.com. We are developing cloud-based BOM management tool. Our tool is integrated with Onshape and allows you to generate BOM, manage revisions and changes, share it with suppliers, contract manufacturers and collaborate (similar to what can be done with Google spreadsheet). I'd love to learn more about bill of materials management features and requirements you mentioned above. Look forward talking to you.

Best, Oleg