Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Has the update suddenly increased file size of old documents

jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
I have not logged into Onshape for a while - and now one file in particular has suddenly increased in file size and pushed me way over the 100Mb limit.

What could have caused that?

And now being in preview I can only delete tabs within files by making them public or delete whole files .  

Jon

Comments

• julian_tammanjulian_tamman Member Posts: 1
    I've had a related issue where I deleted a bunch of part studio tabs in a work space to reduce the size, with NO effect on my work space size?  could this file size be artificial?

• fropfrop Member Posts: 9
    My part was at about 53mb and then this morning jumped to 200mb. My theory is there is a history for the part and it is taking up space. What else would account for the gap? I just did a lot of creating and deleting yesterday. Ima beginner. 
  • fropfrop Member Posts: 9
    I can't edit my document now :( It went over limit now it's view only. Which is code for your document is hostage. lol Can't edit it to below 100mb so it's either delete the file or export it I guess.
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    frop - yes that the consequence.  Its very difficult to use the 'free' version for any meaningful testing of the software as any real life project used to test alongside your existing CAD workflow quickly goes over the limit .  I've not used Onshape for months.  A project I was testing and had not changed, suddenly leaped up in memory use over the limit ( presumably a new function took up more memory).  The only way of getting below the limit was either make public, which I could not legally do, or delete it and give up.  Shame as I now just tinker occasionally but I am not really developing my skills in using Onshape so any change over from SW will be delayed as I am just not very fast in Onshape.  My thoughts are slowed down by my lack of skill/speed in Onshape while in SW I can keep up with my design mind/ideas.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @julian_tamman Whenever you delete the tabs in your part studio deleting operation is recorded in your history and you can recover it at any point of time. For the same reason deleting the tab won't reduce your file size. One of the method is to save a copy of your document by "Copy work space" option as below

Newly copied document doesn't have any history details, so it will have lower file size. 
  • jonathan_stedmanjonathan_stedman Member, Mentor Posts: 65 PRO
    But if you are over the limit you cannot paste it anywhere, even if you could access the file as they are now 'view only'.  Going over the limit can happen anytime.  The files were under the limit one week. Then signing  in again a while later the files were over the limit and only viewable, not editable so you are ransomed into deleting files to get under the limit again.
  • robert_heyesrobert_heyes Member Posts: 1
    I just had this happen to me after some heavy editing of a sketch, lots of deleting of construction lines and constraints. After deleting a couple of files to get below the 100Mb limit, I was able to use the copy workspace trick. Reduced an 82Mb file down to 2Mb!

It seems that it's probably worthwhile doing that periodically whenever you're reasonably happy with a document to avoid it happening in future, also maybe leaving one of the originals around at say 50Mb to give you some breathing room when the file size grows again.

But a 'compress document' feature would certainly be welcome.
  • adamohernadamohern Member, OS Professional Posts: 216 PRO
    If you're serious about trying Onshape on real-world projects, $100 is a small price to pay. Just pay for a month and then quit if you don't like it. Much less painful than SolidWorks, where you can't even try the software unless you fork over 50-100 times as much.
  • john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 358
    Currently when we are upgrading documents after a software upgrade, the size of the document does grow. We are currently working on making this growth not count against your storage limit.

We're trying to put reasonable limits on document size and counts for the free accounts. We're really not trying to be anything but transparent about how our limits work.

Hopefully we will have this resolved soon. Thanks for your patience.
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • kevin_quigleykevin_quigley Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    adamohern said:
    If you're serious about trying Onshape on real-world projects, $100 is a small price to pay. Just pay for a month and then quit if you don't like it. Much less painful than SolidWorks, where you can't even try the software unless you fork over 50-100 times as much.
    Now Adam you know that's not quite the case in the real world. Any reseller will give you at least a free 30 day trial of the full Premium package, and let you stretch that to a lot more if you attend a training course (which is what I recommend serious benchmarking programmes should do). Indeed, most MCAD systems offer this now. 
    Still. How much is that training course? More than a hundred bones, I'm guessing. It's free to try, and cheap to scale up temporarily. That's all I'm saying.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @adamohern what would you do after a month with all your private data that you can't work with anymore?
    Decide what you want. Either choose to use Onshape or don't. It's not that complicated.
    You guys seems incredulous that I would wave off big issues like having your precious data locked in somebody else's vault, subject to whatever rent they want to extract for access to said data. I don't wave them off. That's a huge issue, and a big problem inherent to cloud tools. I just think it's pointless to rail against it any more than we already have. Either Onshape is right for you or it isn't. Make a choice and move on.
  • _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    @adamohern  Said "Either Onshape is right for you or it isn't. Make a choice and move on."

I can at least respect the frankness of that comment.
  • Leonardo_Da_VinciLeonardo_Da_Vinci Member Posts: 2
    Currently when we are upgrading documents after a software upgrade, the size of the document does grow. We are currently working on making this growth not count against your storage limit.
    We're trying to put reasonable limits on document size and counts for the free accounts. We're really not trying to be anything but transparent about how our limits work.
    During my testing of OS I´ve realized that upon last upgrade workspace filesize grows abnormally. For example, I´ve shared (with copy permissions) a private workspace of 18 MB with another dummy user (both free accounts). In the dummy user account the workspace size has increased up to 29 MB without doing any change. Furthermore, when this latter workspace is copied again (in dummy user account) size rises again to 59 MB !!!

I think that something went wrong with your last upgrade... This problem will quickly prevent OS testing users to test your cloud CAD system effectively...

By the way, I´ve been experiencing sucesive increases in workspace size upon OS upgrades. This is normal and reasonable, as you said above , but don´t you think that the 100 MB of the free plan are becoming too small for serious testing of OS 2016 versions?

Thanks for your time!
  • Leonardo_Da_VinciLeonardo_Da_Vinci Member Posts: 2
    During my testing of OS I´ve realized that upon last upgrade workspace filesize grows abnormally. For example, I´ve shared (with copy permissions) a private workspace of 18 MB with another dummy user (both free accounts). In the dummy user account the workspace size has increased up to 29 MB without doing any change. Furthermore, when this latter workspace is copied again (in dummy user account) size rises again to 59 MB !!!

I think that something went wrong with your last upgrade... This problem will quickly prevent OS testing users to test your cloud CAD system effectively...

By the way, I´ve been experiencing sucesive increases in workspace size upon OS upgrades. This is normal and reasonable, as you said above , but don´t you think that the 100 MB of the free plan are becoming too small for serious testing of OS 2016 versions?

Thanks for your time!